When it comes to metal roofing many of us think about the old bars with aluminum tin or historic buildings topped with expensive copper one of the oldest forms of metal roofing. But in the past when replacing or adding a new roof, little thought has been given to installing a metal roof on your own residence.
Not so much the case any longer. Metal roof installations have over doubled in the past decade as costs become more affordable and aesthetics become more attractive. Add that to the other benefits of using metal in the long run it actually on a per square foot basis can be cheaper than other types of installation.
- Durability – You can expect a good metal roof to last between 40 to 60 years. In warm, humid states metal is not subject to mildew and corrosion like asphalt shingles. In the northern states metal will not leak or rust and can withstand hail and windstorm up to 140 mph.
- Energy – Tests over time have revealed metal roofs can save up to 40% in cooling costs depending on where you live. While other roofing materials absorb heat metal roofs can reflect up to 85% of the sun’s energy.
- Protection – Your roof is the largest component of your structure. It not only protects the building itself but the contents inside. That is why homeowners in states like Colorado where hail and snow are not uncommon benefit from the Impact Resistance testing that is required. As a result, there are discounts available from certain insurance companies for installing a metal roof.
- Environment – It is estimated that over 20 billion pounds (no that is not a mistake) of asphalt roofing fill our landfills every year. By installing a metal roof over shingles you provide an extra layer of insulation and save the environment by keeping those singles out of a landfill. In addition, should you ever live long enough to replace your roof the steel roof can be recycled.
- Low Maintenance – Once a metal roof is installed nothing other than an annual maintenance check is necessary.
- Aesthetics – The ugly old barn roofs are gone. Metal roofing contractors today can offer a host of different metals, designs and colors. There is no home or structure that cannot benefit from an attractive, colorful metal roof.
Here is a little caveat you need to know. Not every metal roof is the same and it is difficult to tell the difference in quality between two metals lying side by side. Unscrupulous manufacturers will tell you their roof has a 25-year warranty when the metal has only a five-year life span. How to avoid this? There is a “coil” number that needs to be on their warranties. This connects the buyer with the exact metal that was purchased. No coil number, no protection regardless of what the warranty reads.
When working with a legitimate contractor like Colorado Premier Roofing you can put that worry behind you. After having been in the roofing industry over two decades their reputation precedes them. Do yourself a favor and take a hard look at using metal for your next roof. Then call Colorado Premier Roofing to discuss it.